Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sean starts a CO2 with Oswaldo

Just got an email today from Sean Hyatt (See the picture of Sean and his wife, Jessica, to the right. Sean doesn't always look this well-groomed!) Sean and Marty Reiswig have a MRT in SE Denver.

I'm copying part of Sean's email (with permission) below because it illustrates one way in which a city wide network can function. Sean sent the whole email to denvernetwork@googlegroups.com Using googlegroups is one way to begin to connect within a region.

I have a friend named Oswaldo who lives near downtown and is at the tail end of a 2-year drug rehab program. He and I have (yesterday) entered into a discipleship relationship (using daily CO2 primarily) and he has an urgent need for a job with at least 30 hours a week by TOMORROW... Anyone know of a job opportunity? Or know a business owner who could take him on with at least 30 hours of work, per week, for at least week or two (at minimum?)
Please pass this on to anyone you know, or let me know ASAP of an opportunity if you can. He is willing to work, is very sharp, and willing to work hard no matter what he finds.

Here's some more of what Sean told me about what he is doing.

I am planning on keeping track of what happens each day as a "CO2 as a discipleship tool" experiment, and will share it with everyone when were a couple weeks into it...

I described the daily CO2 discipline (checking in together and sharing what we're hearing from the Lord 2gether) and asked if he would join me in doing it for 1 week together, by phone, and we could go from there. He agreed...

Then I said, "Well, I'd love to pray together before we get off the phone" and I proceeded in suggesting that in the spirit of discipling one another, and shepherding one another's hearts, we should also share the prayer piece. So I asked if he wouldn't mind saying a prayer for us (since I did it yesterday). He chuckled uncomfortably, and said that he would try. So he did - it started out a little unsure but pretty soon he was praying quite confidently, pouring his heart out to the Lord, and crying! It was beautiful. I amened him heartily, thanked him, and said, "Well, Ill leave you with the Lord, and let's do this again tomorrow!" We hung up. Total conversation: 15 minutes.

What do you see in this story that encourages you?

John

PS Reminder that we would love to hear stories of how God is working in your city or region.

9 comments:

  1. I'm encouraged more than I can say by the idea of Oswaldo agreeing to 'give it a try' with prayer. How often there have been times in my own life where I failed to do something simply by not 'giving it a try'.

    When you lack confidence, feel foolish or shy, don't know how to do something, worry it might not work - remember Oswaldo and just try it. The simple truth is that we learn by watching and then doing. Watching alone is not enough.

    So don't stand on the sidelines and criticise! Don't stand on the sidelines and wonder if you could do this thing. Don't stand on the sidelines at all! Join the game on the field, give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I greatly enjoy being involved with many other simple church people here in ABQ. We had 70 who gathered together at our city/state wide HC worship last week, and it was a fabulous time. Earlier this week I received an email from someone asking about our house churches, so I wrote him back expaining what we do for HC, then forwarded the email to other HC leaders. Somewhere along the line he will be able to connect with others whereever he lives. "A vibrant family of Jesus in every part of the city." Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy in ABQ, friend of RichardMarch 11, 2010 at 5:51 AM

    By the way, Richard in Pueblo has never been able to be involved in a 'house church' over the years, but these past few months he's made up for lost time. Everywhere he goes and with everyone he meets he talks about CO2, engages in SASHET, and prays with them, then tells them to get together with their friends and do the same in their own homes. He begins with married couples and families, teaching that they can be a CO2 right where they are. He shows them how it actually starts in the home. Amazing how quickly this can spread with someone who 'gets it!'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - I really appreciate how you and Sean are regular contributors from "across the pond" to these conversations. Thanks for making this a priority!

    Peg - Just got a good report yesterday that several from a house church here in Denver traveled down to Pueblo (about 2 hours) to do house church with Richard and several others there. They were very impressed with Richard and had no doubt that the Lord is using him for the Kingdom in that part of Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great story. Keep up the good work Richard.

    And, I'm always appreciative of Sean's leadership. He has great instinct for good questions, for direction, and for community. Thank you Sean. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'd like to hear you share about your discernment process :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what you Sean initiated with Oswaldo represents for me what has been a change of starting place with seekers. Instead of initially inviting people to join us in something (even a vibrant house church gathering) we are choosing CO2 relationships as the starting place and then waiting on God to see what God wants to do next.

    I think your experiment of doing this with someone who has experienced extreme brokeness is quite different than doing this with another experienced Jesus follower. Cool!

    I am praying with you for Oswaldo today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way this community of practice is working together! You are all a steady encouragement to me.

    BTW, if you haven't listened to Tim's interviews with Chadd over on Stories, don't miss them: http://storiesfromtherevolution.blogspot.com/2010/03/chadd-nancy-schroeder-guadalajara.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to hear more about how googlegroups has served as a way to connect people in the denver area. How do people join the email list? What sorts of things are discussed? Etc.

    We have a Constant-Contact and a sign up at http://occhicago.wordpress.com - but I think in googlegroups anyone can send out a message -- is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. God is amazing. How quickly he can build up love for one another, and towards himself. Encourage and heal as we in our weakness come to him. A well invested 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete