Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mutual learning

Fellow storytellers,

The comment below from Chadd Schroeder in Mexico strikes me as a great example of a "community of practice" at work. That is, a context where all of us, as church planters, are learning from each other. (Chadd has always impressed me as both a great learner and a great teacher!)

In a sense, there several lessons in Chadd's comment. First, that videos are a great way to tell stories. Second, stories are a great way to change the culture. Third, that videos are amazingly easy to make these days. Fourth, that our MRT Community is a great place to share useful videos (either ones that we make or ones that we find).

Right now in the "Tags" section of our MRT site there are two videos listed. (And, I, the least techie of all of you, made them both.) I'm looking forward to story telling videos about vibrant families of Jesus from you all! (Under 5 minutes please.)

John


From Chadd...


One of the things that keeps coming to my mind as I watch the videos is that video interviews seem to communicate so effectively, contagiously and in multifaceted ways that written material is not able to do. I'm thinking of Mexicans and the obstacles to the viral spread of the kingdom here. I sense God wants me to experiment more in this area. Hmm...

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Several of us watched the Denver MRT video last night, and I was struck by the same thing - there's so much more communicated by video than can be communicated by the written word. I SAW community rather than just reading about it, which is not at all the same thing. I've already began thinking about an Abilene video. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this reality! We are in a new era, and not all technology is a step backwards socially. Are we putting all these on youtube and labelling them properly? I think they ought be available and accessible to the general public for God's use as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing that really excites me about this right now is the contagious element. Most of my Mexican brothers and sisters tend to be non-literate learners (they are literate, but don't typically learn by reading). Video seems to be a much more useful medium.

    I've got so much to learn in this area. But I like the Vimeo site better than youtube because vimeo allows the video to be downloaded. Someone like me, who cares alot about seeing these ideas/stories cross language barriers, could download a short video that someone else has posted, and then either dub it into Spanish or put in subtitles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoyed the videos, it gives a much bigger dimention. I hope Chris and I will be able to do this in a few weeks. I have to download atm as my machine reboots when using flash player (along with a string of other apps) for this I use the ant add in for firefox browser. Chrome has an app that can do a lot of sites but is slightly less supported. Im sure there is an IE one but I dont use IE.
    Would be great to have access to spanish sub/dub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean,

    I barely understood what you just said but I sure am glad there are guys like you who can say that stuff! :-)

    It did stimulate this thought. I wonder if one of you guys who is way smarter than I am could do a short (and simple) video on how to make a video. Not just making the video but the steps toward making it available to the rest of us.

    Anyone interested?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, I would love to see an Abilene video!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Sean Hyatt (Artman81): "Are we putting all these on youtube and labelling them properly?"

    We're trying to. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lk10videos&search_type=&aq=f

    It includes the short videos we've made so far and also 4 teachings that I did for House2House on "The Spontaneous Church". I would welcome any thoughts on how to do this better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some good comments here on the value of video. If I had to put things in order of value for teaching I'd say it was along the lines of...

    Face to face conversation - face to face presentation - Video - Audio - Text with images - text alone.

    Sometimes combinations of these work well, but video makes more impact than anything else except actually being there.

    Now I just have to live up to my own words and make a video :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah . . . Ah . . . Ah . . . Choooo!
    I'm in :)

    ReplyDelete