Tuesday, March 30, 2010

House of peace in Chicago

See below for a story from Mark Willis about a house of peace in Chicago. I think we need as many stories like this as possible. Each time we read one it helps us get a little clearer about what to look for and what to pray for.

One of the things that come to my mind as I read this story is "I wonder how many thousands of Tim and Kims there are in traditional churches who could start one of these "vibrant families of Jesus" with just a little help.

In the Comment section, tell us what strikes you about this house of peace. What similarities do you see with Gerardo and Carola? And, see if you have any thoughts about Mark's question at the end.

John


I wanted to spend my 5 minutes talking about a house church in our network we visited yesterday. We've met with them several times before, and it is always encouraging to see how God is using them to display his Family in simple and profound ways.

Tim and Kim are a couple that have followed Christ full-on for over 22 years together. They were a part of several unhealthy church hierarchical structures, and eventually found themselves opening up their home for people to worship and seek the Lord together. They have adopted two children from China, and though they have day jobs, they see their jobs as servant to their true vocation - nurturing healthy families of Jesus.

The children in this church are involved, just like the parents are. One couple in the community is going through some rough times, and they've gracefully found ways to provide sanctuary for the couple to work out their disagreements and find reconciliation....even as they firmly address stubbornness and sin that are obstacles to the relationship. They've called their entire church family to bring their neighbors and the poor and anyone else to join them for meals and worship in their house... In short - they've been released by God as hosts of this house church to spend all their energies on developing disciples and communities that reflect the image of Jesus Christ.

We don't know exactly what it means to "not go around from house to house" with this couple - they are definitely well on their journey and don't seem to need an outside force coming in to tell them about God's Kingdom. However - I found myself wanting to stay around with these folks simply because there was a mutual attraction to God's Kingdom which seemed so near to me that it could have been right across the dinner table. You don't want to leave when the Kingdom is so near its palpable in the air.

10 comments:

  1. Amen! This couple certainly sounds like they have created and are a house of peace!

    A side comment on Christ's command to the 70 to "Not go house to house" (take this or leave it, it's just a side thought) - I also see this as a comment not meant for us in most cases! Remember, Jesus was not talking to 21st century Christians - he was speaking to those who would go to "All the cities of Israel where he himself was about to go"... Im pretty sure that some of Jesus commands to them cannot be taken and too simply applied by us in our scenarios today as we go about planting churches among 21st century gentiles. Remember, when Paul and Peter and the early churches functioned, they DID go "house to house". Paul preached to them "In every house"... Bottom line: My humble opinion is that we cannot properly apply scripture to our lives today until we properly understand its meaning to its original audience nearly two millenia ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Artman. I continue to pursue what was a literal call of Christ, and what was specific for his disciples in the moment. Should I take every colt I see, telling the owner that "the Lord needs it?" Probably not - but what about "plucking out my eye"? or "giving up my life?"

    Dont want the comment section to go toward a discussion on literalism, but it is a healthy reminder to seek Jesus' help in prayer - to interpret his own sayings in the Bible to us today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if some similarities between Tim and Kim and Gerardo and Carola might be:
    1. Hospitality (in opening the doors of their home for people to seek the Lord together)
    2. Children (they are in the middle of the action)
    3. Clarity of "true vocation" (all energies focused on engaging disciples and building community that reflects Christ - like Tim and Kim engaging neighbors in reconciliation or the Gerardo and Carola's "life project")

    And attraction: The gospel is attractive around these people (Titus 2:10) Mark loves being with these people because the kingdom is obvious in them.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mark, for sharing your story of Tim & Kim. I feel those of us in leadership in our regions might fill different roles in the work God has given us to do. At times we may find a house of peace and work with the new couple until they are mentored and capable of leading on their own. On the other hand, if we pray for God to send us 'already prepared' leaders, perhaps our job is to assist from afar, and guide and direct instead of stay and oversee closely. I have struggled with the 'doctrine' described in Luke 10 since I first heard about it. How do we put the Holy Spirit in a box and every household has to be treated the same? My sense is that we will see those scriptures as a guideline, and be sensitive to the household and how the Holy Spirit is working in each family. Our goal is to see a vibrant family of Jesus within easy access of every person and neighborhood. The time it takes to establish that home is dependent on each family and what God wants to reproduce there. It keeps me dependent on the Father, listening carefully to His voice. My interaction with that house church would be relational and supportive, and a connection to the bigger body of Christ in the area. But also like Mark, there are some house churches that become like my home, where I can reside for a while for my own strengthening and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many good comments!!!

    As Peg said, each house of peace is different. As parents, we must see each of our children as unique in their personalities. In addition, we must assess the developmental stage of each child.

    The same is true for houses of peace. Some will need just a little validation or information from us. Others will need coaching over a long period of time. So, I take the "don't go from house to house" to mean don't leave prematurely. Don't rush off to another house before the current one has some maturity. That could mean that you stay a week or a year. It could mean that you are physically present with that church or that you are coaching the leaders from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thought that comes to mind as I read the post and the comments centers on the importance of a worker's self-understanding of calling--of her/his place in the story.

    It seems there are some of us who are called to see our homes as a place of peace, a place where the Kingdom is incarnate and blessing flows from this place. The more clear we are in our understanding that this is our calling and we live into that calling the more the Kingdom will come to that place and all will find God's presence and blessing.

    On the other hand, others of us sense a strong calling to be sent to help see the communities begin, to help them continue with health and grow up to maturity.

    Perhaps some function in both roles. But at least it helps me grasp these two categories as I consider my own calling and how I can help others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said, Chadd & John. I couldn't quite find the words for that, but that's exactly what I was trying to communicate. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to respond to what Chadd said above about being real clear in our calling. This has been so important to me in my journey. As I've said before, I'm not really the apostolic type. I'm the pastoral type. If I try to function apostolically, things are disastrous. But let me crawl into a community and bless it, and God can work in me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate to what you say here, Ron. I think I have a mix of apostolic, prophetic, and pastoral about me. I am not fully clear about this yet. Maybe I don't need to have it all lined up, maybe the most important thing is to respond in the moment as I am led and trust that the outcome will be what Father wanted.

    I'll be 62 next birthday, I don't feel I have a lot of time left to understand myself fully! I need to let him use me now even if I'm a bit unclear.

    I have a strong sense that it's important not to try to function in a particular way, but instead to function in a natural and flowing way. For me that seems far more effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am encouraged by what you have to say Chris. I think it is something very important (this might be a little off subject, but it seems important). Gifting and calling for some appears to be very clear and I know for others not so clear. I have a tendency to become so focused on the question of vocation and calling in my life. I tend to think of this in a very action oriented way. what is it that i am created to do? How am i created to bless the kingdom? where do i fit? I am at this point in my life where many others are settling into careers or even following clear paths. My path just seems so overgrown, unclear, even scary.
    Chris said: "I have a strong sense that it's important not to try to function in a particular way, but instead to function in a natural and flowing way." This just got me thinking about the simplicity of the kingdom, of God's love, and of Truth. It's not about doing but about being. I am a child of the King. The creator's presence dwells within me, and within each of us. All i have to do is be myself redeemed in Christ (this actually does take some work). But out of that, a well of living water, will flow my "life project." Out of that connection i will find food and water, sustenance, for the work ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete