Wednesday, March 17, 2010

MRT - a way of paying attention

Chris Jefferies' (England, picture on right) comment on Ron Longwell's blog (The Abilene MRT Experiment) seems so important I want to highlight part of it here:

We use Google Wave, creating a new wave each day and adding notes on our heart feelings and what we each sense the Lord is saying to us. We now have a full record going back to the first week of December. We use clickable links to make navigation easy.

We decided to try summarising our VIRKLER notes on a weekly basis and it's been fascinating to see an overview of the journey. I need to spend some time studying it.But the point I'm making is that without intending to do so we have been journalling the entire CO2 process and since we've been meeting weekly for MRT, we've been taking notes on that as well.

Personally, I strongly recommend journalling. If you haven't already, give it a try.A blog is one good way to do this (I use a private blog for my own personal journal and planner), Wave is another, or you could keep a pen and paper diary. The technology isn't as important as the principle of keeping notes. Keeping a shared journal is particularly helpful, I think.Being able to refer back and see the patterns and rhythms of Father's involvement in our lives is one of the benefits, but there's another. Writing things down helps fix them in the mind as well.

Ron and Chris, you inspire me!

I had begun keeping notes on our Denver MRT meetings but in recent weeks I had let that slip. (Hobby said he would be willing to pick this up.) The Lord is using you to remind me of how important this is. (I have no idea what a Google Wave is but I'm sure one of my techie friends can show me.)

So, in one sense, we could say that an MRT is nothing more than two (or more) people paying attention to what God is saying about their part of the harvest field.

Love to hear from others what they are learning about how to pay attention in this shared way.

John

For Chris's blog see http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=1958976190399499390

5 comments:

  1. Does this mean you want to start taking the notes again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't we glad someone was taking notes (Luke and friends) in the first century? How many more people have been blessed because they recorded the acts of the Holy Spirit in their time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) Your comment had me laughing out loud, Hobby!

    The blog link at the end of John's post doesn't work - try this one instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just this morning I went back 2 journals ago to late 2008 into 2009. I was amazed to see how many prayers God answered! I noted my frustrations at the time, the things I was trusting God for, the people who came into and went out of my life, and dreams I had that actually came true during this time, and all the changes I've gone through. What an amazing adventure! Even now I continue writing down my prayers in my journal, I listen and write how He answers, and another year from now I'll see what He brings about. It is a true joy to have the short term and long term prayers answered.
    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris,

    For two years now I have been journaling as I listen to God. It has been life changing. I also am learning how to listen to God as part of a few different communities and have seen Him lead us into consensus of thought and action. Therefore, I love your words: "keeping a shared journal". That phrase communicates more to me the mystery of God speaking to a whole community rather than using the phrase: "taking notes". I am excited that Hobby wants to keep a record of our shared journal vs. simply taking note. :-)

    ReplyDelete