Saturday, May 15, 2010

Coaching (1)

The second innovation we'll be adding to MRT 2.0 this summer is coaching.


In making disciples, there are many parallels with good parenting. Early in both processes there is a need for some "telling". "Tie your shoes this way." But, as soon as possible it's important to begin doing some "asking". "Would you like to wear your coat today or carry it with you?" The older the child, the less you tell and the more you ask questions.


Why? Because in both parenting and in training leaders, the goal is to help them to do good thinking on their own. Remember the old saying - "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a life time."


Coaching is a name we give to the process of asking really good questions. It's what highly effective parents do. And, it's what highly effective spiritual parents do. It's a central part of teaching your disciples to "fish for themselves". Coaching will be part of the conversations in MRT 2.0 this summer. More tomorrow.


What kind of training have you had in coaching? Formal training? Informal? Have you experienced being coached? What was it like? Click on "comments" below and weight in on this.


John


PS. At the top of my list of good coaching books is the one below by Tony Stoltzfus. You might consider working through it this summer if you are going to be part of MRT 2.0.


ref=sib_dp_pt.jpg

4 comments:

  1. The only training I've personally had in "coaching" is through watching others do it and some minor experiences being "coached". Would really love to learn more about this as I think it's synonymous with "discipling" and that is something God is teaching me more about lately...

    What is the title of the book? (not seeing the image)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah, The book is "Leadership Coaching" by Tony Stoltzfus. I'm wondering why you can't see the image. If you go to the blog site, can you see it then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The image is not showing up on mine either.

    Last year I had an interesting experience with 4 coaches at the same time. I went through a coachnet certification training in which I coached two leaders. This was a season of discovery for me as I learned to differentiate some language and direction that I would like to continue in coaching.

    MRTs are a great environment for sharpening our coaching skills together. It is not a one-on-one coaching session, but it is a place for modeling good parenting.

    Adding the coaching piece to the MRTs is a great next step for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a church planting coach from CoachNet for the past year... Indescribably helpful! After talking with John about discipleship shifting to the coaching model, and after feeling the impact of a coach, I decided to be trained as well.

    Last week I completed my coaching certification with CoachNet and I'm really excited about coaching anyone the Lord brings my way. My schedule and plate are packed right now, so my plan is to start building my coaching practice in the fall.

    I strongly encourage everyone to have a coach. As long as I can afford it, I will have one.

    We may want to consider introducing people to coaching through Bob Logan's book, "Coaching 101" and then using our MRTs or cohorts for coaching triads or quads as suggested in the book.

    ReplyDelete