Saturday, April 17, 2010

CO2s and discipleship (2)

Here's Noah's question again: "My question is - how is CO2 similar to and different from what we would call "Discipleship"? Is there a "step 2" for CO2 that leads to discipleship of some kind?"

I've been a part of dozens of "discipleship programs" over the last 50 years.

These programs have involved various plans to read the Bible, to answer questions about the Bible (fill in the blank), to memorized verses from the Bible, to interpret the Bible correctly, to apply Biblical truth, etc. They have involved various kinds of prayer - confession of sin, intercession for others, praise and worship, journaling, silence, solitude, fasting, etc. They have involved other Christians - praying together, praying for, accountability to, etc. They have involved concern for the lost - praying for them, sharing with them, inviting them to come to church, caring for their needs, etc.

I'm sure you all have done much the same.

Everything on that list is a good thing. These are the things that most Christians would call "discipleship".

However, I want us to press into a slightly different question. What would Jesus call "discipleship"? How did Jesus go about "making disciples"? How did He know what to do next? What did He want his disciples to be able to do when He was physically gone?

Your thoughts?

John

3 comments:

  1. If I follow John's suggestion and make reading and commenting here the first thing I do when I check my email, the time difference between here and the USA means I often get to make the first comment - so here I am again! Maybe sometimes I should make it the last thing I do each day?

    I've already suggested (yesterday) how I see discipleship as intended by Jesus. In summary it's living with the Master, listening and watching him, then trying to do the same. It's an ongoing process during which we become more practiced and skilled in doing and saying the same sorts of things he does and says.

    Maybe we could add that it's not just about becoming more like him, but it also involves allowing him to live his life in us and through us.

    For me, that answers John's main question, 'What would Jesus call discipleship?' But he asks three subsidiary questions.

    'How did Jesus go about making disciples?' - By calling the rejected and overlooked and living with them in close community. He lived as he wanted them to live, he answered their questions, he told them illustrative stories that would help them to make paradigm shifts, he encouraged them to go out ahead of him and do the same work. He pointed out their mistakes. He introduced them to his Father. He showed them Love in action.

    'How did he know what to do next?' - He listened and watched his Father - closely. He only did what he saw the Father do, and he only said what he heard the Father say.

    'What did he want his disciples to be able to do when he was physically gone? - Carry on the same work of healing, touching, loving, living as a community, sharing the Good News, encouraging one another, receiving the Holy Spirit as his permanent presence with them, hearing and watching what the Father does, saying and doing what they heard and saw.

    There's much more to say about this. I'm confident of lots more comment from lots more people because this is such a rich topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Among other thoughts...

    John 14 (addressing the disciples)

    6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

    7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

    --

    10b The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

    11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.

    12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do EVEN GREATER things than these, because I am going to the Father.

    13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.

    14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

    --

    21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding us of those verses, Noah. They are so rich, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete