Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Checking in as sad

I'm checking in today as sad.

I've had two different conversations this week with Christians who have been in church for a long time. They are good people who love Jesus. In many ways, they are very mature and have a deep desire to serve God. They know Scripture and are diligently seeking to live it out. So, what's missing?

In both cases, these dear folks have almost no idea how to hear God's voice. It makes me sad that people could spend so much time in churches that haven't helped them with what surely is at the heart of a "personal relationship with Jesus". By definition, friends carry on conversations. They talk to each other. They listen to each other. They dialogue.

How is it that we have invited people into a "personal relationship" with Someone that never personally speaks to us??? "My sheep listen to my voice" (Jn. 10:3, 4, 16, 37)

I'm also happy. Because it was so much fun to share with these two people how to hear His voice. And, to tell stories about what we've heard. As individuals. And, as churches. In fact, once a person understands listening, church planting is easy. As we noted a few days ago, Mary is our model. Mary "who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said." (Lk. 10:39)

I'm also happy that we can offer people the new eBook which is designed as a 30 day journey for two people who want to deepen their ability to listen to God. The stories are already beginning to come in about the eBook.

John Parker (Merced, CA) is passing the eBook along to the church planters he is training. Here's an email dialogue with one of those people.

John: Attached find an eBook you and your wife can start using today. It is a 30 day action book for CO2. My friend John White who wrote it just sent it to me yesterday. It’s brand new! I think you’ll like it. Another “A God Nod” !! J

Mike: Yes, you're right I like this very much, I have just begun to get into it but what I have seen so far is great. Yup, its a God nod I think. I will start the 30 day exercise tomorrow because today I'm going through all the links and watching the videos. You can thank your friend John for me too the next time you chat with him. I really appreciate what you're both doing!! Praise the Lord!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is sad to see the inability and it is fun to have conversations with those showing potential. I have been getting to do that with several this week myself.

    What are the things that have been helpful in equipping people to listen? The greatest thing for me was, God defending himself. It was also helpful to let go of the analytical mind and step into spontaneous thoughts on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Hobby. I've spent my whole life learning how to be analytical (school, etc.). Learning to listen to God requires that another part of my brain begins to be developed.

    ReplyDelete