Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Prevenience and coaching (2)

More from Eugene Peterson on the concept of prevenience:

(An understanding of this important word leads to) "... a disciplined, determined conviction that everything (and I mean, precisely, everything) we do is a response to God's first work, his initiating act. We learn to be attentive to the divine action already in process so that the previously unheard word of God is heard, the previously unattended act of God is noticed. The Contemplative Pastor, p. 69

Some implications...

1. Attention to prevenience is learned. It's a whole way of seeing life that is different from much of what I learned early on in church and seminary. This kind of attention is learned (like everything else) through practice and repetition.

2. Coaching is a great aid in learning this kind of attentiveness. A coach is someone who comes along side of me to help me listen. They help me, not by telling me things, but by asking questions that I might not have thought of and by helping me stay present in the listening process. (There are times for "telling" or "mentoring" but there are also times for just "asking" and "listening".) (BTW, have you emailed Tim Pynes yet to schedule a session with him?)

3. Prevenience is central to church planting. Birthing new house churches is not something that we initiate. God is the one who is already at work in creating a "house of peace" (Lk. 10:5-6). Our part is to be attentive to His prevenient work. This totally changes how we think about church planting. As my friend, Kenny, says, "God does the heavy lifting." I like that!

Other implications that you see?

John

5 comments:

  1. Attentiveness 101 sounds like a course I have been in for a while.

    One session with a coach who asks good questions is a very profound experience. I have been reflecting on the Hebraic model of teaching today. As we shift various paradigms I hope we would also shift our paradigm in equipping and coaching.

    In the Hebraic model I see two things: shared life with great accessibility and an education starting with the students questions. A good coach does not bring the agenda, but let's us set the agenda. This is very important as we process where we are and where we are heading.

    Another piece that may or may not fit your schedule or your coaches schedule. Being able to call and go the distance in a conversation with a coach regularly is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would seem that the same paradigm shift would occur in prayer as well. With the Holy Spirit as our Teacher. Instead of starting with petitions we should start with questions. Through waiting and meditation we find his mind. At the point we can move to submission to His will. Then perhaps move on to petition as a response to what we have heard and learned from him. This would seem to allow our petitions to be prayed in faith as opposed to presumption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insight, Wade! Asking questions of the Spirit and listening for His answers begins to sound like a real relationship. Dialogue! Not the old monologue way of praying. And, as you say, it gives us confidence that we are on the right track with the things we are asking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your insight. Listening is one of the first skills in teaching someone how to make disciples. Listening to my disciple’s life story is important because I am searching for the work of God throughout his life. Even childhood events are significant because from conception God prepares each of His children for their eternal purpose. My aim in listening is to join in the Lord’s purpose for my disciple’s life and not to try and fit that disciple into my ministry agenda.
    Lewie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Lewie! That is such a different paradigm from much of what we have been taught about ministry.

    ReplyDelete