Thursday, June 10, 2010

Can you be in more than one MRT? (2)

Further reflections on Peg Batcheller helping to start four MRTs in New Mexico (see yesterday's post)

Sending. The reality is that the Lord of the Harvest is answering the Lk 10:2b prayer and sending out a multitude of apostolic church planters. The problem is that many of these people aren't what we expected apostles to look like. Most of them haven't been to seminary and haven't been approved by some mission agency. A growing number of these people are women. And, many of these folks didn't even know that they were apostles.

Seeing. But, there is also another side to the 10:2b prayer. One side is that the Lord of the harvest is sending an increasing number of these harvest workers. The other side is that, as I pray this prayer day after day, my "eyesight" changes. With every person I meet, I find myself asking the question, "I wonder if he/she is an apostle?"

Which leads to this question: How do we know they are apostles? Consider this definition for an apostle: A man or woman called and gifted by God to plant multiple churches. So, what I look for is someone who has something in their heart that longs to see these "vibrant families of Jesus" multiply across their city or region.

To see a "vibrant family of Jesus" within easy reach of everyone will require dozens of MRTs in Denver and thousands across the US (how about your country?). I believe that's exactly what we are beginning to see.

Your thoughts?

John


2 comments:

  1. My sense of an apostolic leader is broadening. I think an apostle carries a noticeable measure in each of the Eph 4 ministry roles. When first recognizing an apostle these may not be developed. An entrepreneurial spirit is an indicator, a passion for the mission of God is another, and one who is good at gathering people into causes and/or communities. This is a short list of indicators that first come to mind for apostles.

    I really like the simple definition John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good insights, Hobby. Maybe the apostle is a bit like the stem cell in the human body. As I understand it, that kind of cell can differentiate into all kinds of specialized cells. In the same way, out of apostolic ministry comes all of the various ministries/gifts needed for a healthy body.

    ReplyDelete